Monday, December 9, 2013

Thing #226: High School English Books

Thing #226: High School English Books

I studied Cry, The Beloved Country in high school, but it was also assigned reading for a college class. It has James Earl Jones on the cover; this must be a movie tie-in edition!

Jane Eyre was my summer reading assignment prior to senior year. I procrastinated on reading it, and I procrastinated on writing the paper, to the degree that I was still writing my paper the morning of the first day of school, when I was supposed to be standing in line to get a parking space. I finished the paper, but that whole year I had to park down by the gym, which was approximately nine miles from anywhere. One day, at the end of the year, my friend Paul had a prearranged excused absence, so I borrowed his parking spot for the day. The campus security guard wrote me a $20 parking ticket, and they wouldn't let me graduate until I paid it, even though that is obviously ridiculous, because nobody else was going to park in that space on that day. I remember all these events vividly, yet I remember nothing about Jane Eyre.

I did not reread either of these books. As is the case with most of my English books, these copies are full of notes and highlighting. I don't particularly want to keep marked-up copies of books, anyway, so these were simply recycled.

This last set of eight English books weighed only three pounds, so now we've eliminated 44 total books, weighing 39.9 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment