Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thing #228: More High School English Books

Thing #228: More High School English Books

I reread A Raisin In The Sun, which doesn't take very long. It's terrific and I love all the characters, except possibly for Walter Lee (Brother), because he seems to have a complete change of heart twice in every scene. It's a play, which means the characters have to develop in a very short amount of time, I suppose.

Ethan Frome is not a play, which means everything can happen in slow motion, and it does. It's the longest short story ever, and I completely love it. I won't turn this into a book report that lazy English students can plagiarize (ha ha; we didn't have the Internet when I was your age), but I'm terribly grateful to have rediscovered this work in my adulthood. Guess I've been in Starkfield too many winters.

I'm nearing the end of the book phase, and I've reread quite a few old books now. Not every decaying paperback turned out to be a gem, but the few that did -- like these two -- made it completely worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment